Thursday, August 1, 2013

A-limpic Bike Riding

Things that have happened in the last week that I'm happy about:

1) Martinez arranged for a sitter and had a perfect date planned that included jewelry and cake.
    What can I say? I'm a lucky girl.


2)  I ate half more than half of this beautiful cake....that made me almost need to unbutton my pants at the table.  Don't worry yourself...I refrained from doing so... as I thought that might make my date less than romantic.


And I love new jewels..


3) LG's Halloween Costume arrived.
    I can stop stressing about getting one now.

4) Martinez and I purchased bikes.  That's right.  Bikes.  I made Martinez photograph me so I could see how far my cheeks hung off the seat.

I'm less than impressed.


5)  Dinner with one of my dearest friends (D) has been scheduled for next week...The story of how D and I met is a pretty grand one....but it's a blog post all in itself:) Right D?

6)  A weekend has been scheduled with two more of our dearest friends and I can't wait for that.

7) I'm having a love affair with my new steam mop......I cannot wait until I get to clean the bathroom tile and granite with my new attachments...like I'm getting antsy about it.

8) I found out that another of my dearest friends wants a Subway scented Scentsy brick.
 
    I swear I didn't make that up.

9) Aunt D sent me a fabulous book that made me laugh out loud.....and I will probably read it again.

10) LG likes eating fresh pears and cottage cheese.  Maybe she is mine after all? (If she starts squeezing the squares between her two front teeth with each bite- that'll be my true confirmation)

Things that have happened in the last week that I'm NOT happy about:

1) I scorched my hair all up again by trying to learn to use a curling iron.  It took me several months to liven it back up last time.  This counts for 10 things in itself.  Apparently, watching countless youtube videos and the few private tutorials I've had isn't enough.

Bicycle riding- Martinez family style-

We  I had a rough time.  The first ride was amazing. I thought I was on top of the world riding with the wind blowing through my hair (I refuse to wear a helmet...though I should be wearing a helmet daily now since I fried my hair all up again)...and I felt young...26 again.

The second ride....as a family....not so fun.  We bought one of those trailers so that we could all go as a family.  LG likes to "ride" her bicycle we got her for Easter....but she's still not quite there with the pedals obviously...and rollin her little behind around is getting old..


She loves going to ride in the trailer!  You can hear her little voice yelling "keep it going! Mommy! Keep it going! Mommy!"....which leads me to my point of...the second ride was rough....and I wasn't even pulling the trailer with LG!!!!
I couldn't make it up one of the hills....like...there was a burn in my thighs that made the wall sits I experienced in kickboxing seem like exercise for kindergartners.
I started to whine.  I'm sure you're surprised by that.


I had time to snap this photo....since I was WALKING my bike up the hill!  For those of you eye-rollin' b/c this hill looks small....TELL THAT TO MY THIGHS!!

Anyway, I managed to get back on.
I did a fabulous job riding down the hill.  You would have been impressed at my skills...until I tried to brake with the pedals and not the brakes on the handles.  Now....when I was a kid... I had a bike. In fact, I rode it a ton and wore it out...and I remember getting a brand new green and pink one for my birthday....but that one had gears..and I didn't ride it like my old one.
Apparently, I had issues with brakes on handle bars and gears even then.

After Martinez turned and saw my panicked look- he screamed to "use my brakes"(duh...I'm trying....don't you see me pushing backwards on my pedals?????) and pointed at my handle bars... so I was able to stop.
He possibly saved my life...

And then...there was another hill.  I braced myself for it. I tried to get my speed up.. but that constant clicking and jarring of the gears was stressing me out and I ran out of "ummpp" before even making a dent in that hill.
So I huffed and I puffed until I could blow a house down -but not pedal up a hill-and I walked my bike up that hill as well.
It is what it is.

I completed my ride and thought my chest was going to explode...it was the same feeling I had during kickboxing....and then while I was spasming in the floor with my red face thinking I was having a heart attack while LG laughed and Martinez watched......it hit me....this is going to be exercise........
Oh my.

The next ride... was me and LG only.  Martinez hooked the trailer to my bike and I rode her while he did the weed-eating.
I kept telling him that something was wrong with my bike b/c I keep getting jarred around.  He thought I was being dramatic and not trying hard enough...I'm not really sure why he would assume something like that...I mean....I would never dramatize something like exercise......so I pressed on...until something happened and my leg plunged into a pedal and I almost fell off....while trying to go up a small hill.
I finally got my balance and saw that my leg was beet red and in pain. ( I just realized that my description included the word "plunged"...perhaps I might be just a little dramatic because that just flew on my screen without any thought really).
I tried to pedal...but it just wouldn't go.  LG was clearly fed up with this whole escapade...as she was yelling "Go... I want to go mommy!".
Once again, I walked my bike...all the way home....which was about 30 seconds away.

The something that happened? My chain came off.  Martinez put it back on and then I insisted that he take my bike for a spin.  Verdict?? My bike IS messed up and something IS wrong with the gears/pedaling/something!!!!

I'm not sayin' that's the reason I didn't get up the hill...but at least it was satisfaction that I wasn't as clumsy as I thought....and I'm getting a new bike....and my leg looks like I lost a fight with some enraged chickens or buffalos or something.




So...I follow this one girl's blog who has lost over 100lbs!!
Anyway, she's not looking at her scale for the entire month of August.  The DeShazo and I are doing it too....well...only for two weeks b/c we both have commitment problems....even when something is our own idea.
It is what it is.

I took The DeShazo's advice...and I have a goal dress....


It looks so much bigger hanging up...but I can't breathe in that sucker.

Wish me luck....and The DeShazo!  She thinks about how many times she can weigh a day like I think about when I get to eat next.
It is what it is.


Until Next Time....

Ma'dam Martinez


*As always, sorry for the typos*




1 comment: