Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Days of Sadness

The last couple of days have been mentally draining.
Tornadoes are horrid and have destroyed a few cities around us two days in a row.
Heartbreaking and devastating are words that fail to describe the tragedy in Oklahoma right now.  I cannot fathom the feelings of those who have lost not only their homes and belongings, but their loved ones.
While people in our area are trying to uplift others and help out, there is still an understood sadness among us all that brings tears and nausea in seconds.
Today, I am thankful for the life of my husband and child.
I am thankful for our home.
I am thankful to have water and electricity.
I am thankful that the path of the tornado turned and missed our home by 3 miles, though I'm sad for those who were hurt and affected because of it.
I am thankful for the love, care and overwhelming number of calls/texts/msg's from friends and family (both here and away) who knew our home was originally in the path.
I am thankful that Kevin was safe at his job and that his new job provided a safe place for LG and I during the storm....and I'm thankful for families also in the bank who were so sweet to LG and allowed her to play with them.
I am thankful to be an Oklahoman....part of state that has been so quick to support the victims of this devastation.  I've still considered myself an Arkansan in my head for a while now.  I equate almost everything to "how we'd do it in Arkansas" and The DeShazo constantly reminds me that I've been in Oklahoma for almost six years every time I make that statement.
I am thankful for the traffic I was caught in yesterday as I was traveling to meet Kevin for a belated birthday dinner.  This traffic was due to the drop off site for donations by Penn Square Mall....a site that had cars constantly turning in and dropping sackfuls of items off for the victims.
I am thankful for the Red Cross and others who have dedicated hours, manpower and funds to our State.
I am thankful for the Media..including Facebook for sending out photos of children & parents who need to be reconnected.

Please pray for our state.  I remember hearing about the Tornado in Joplin a couple of years ago.  I recall feeling sad for those victims...but the sadness of actually knowing people who have lost their homes, ect is totally different.

Until Next Time...

Ma'dam Martinez

1 comment: