Monday, November 7, 2016

False Alarm Savings


I've been thinking about a conversation between Martinez and I and just felt like I needed to type it out.

While I can see how many times my blog posts are read, I cannot see who all reads them.  I mean, I know many of you who are reading them because you've told me or "liked" it.  I also know who some of you are because I know you are like me because either you are stalker too...or you just want to keep up with what's going on. ( That was a very poor sentence ). And then there are those that want to read things merely to critique them.
It doesn't matter how many times my words are read, as this was something started a long time ago with friends to help me get my weight down, and then turned into something fun. 
Whatever the blog post topic, I can always count on my husband to read them, which leads me to this...

After I had finished my nightly makeup removal/teeth brushing routine on Thursday, I walked out of the bathroom and Martinez said, " I just almost threw up after reading your blog.  I had no idea you did that with cottage cheese." 
He had just read "30 Facts About Me".
So I laughed and said, "I know.  It's disgusting.  Aren't you glad I save my cottage cheese squishing for Amy".

We had a few laughs about the weird quirk and quirks we knew other people had.

Then, laying in bed about 10 minutes later, he said, "I didn't know you thought you were saved and weren't."

I sat there for what seemed like 5 minutes, but it was probably only 2 seconds, and then said "I know.  I don't talk about that." 
I felt nervous for some reason and have no idea why.  He then said, " I did the same thing as a kid."

You guys may need some background information here. 
Kevin and I were married within months of dating each other.  I lived in south Arkansas, while he lived here in OKC, as he was in the military then.  His sister and I were friends and co-workers....and after me getting over the fact that I would never date/be with a military person.... I gave into the idea provided by Martinez' dad that we would be a good match.

Because of the distance, we saw each other once a month, and during our short dating time,  he deployed to Nicaragua.  When we decided to get married, everything was so fast that many people, including some of our closest family on both sides and friends, were very thrown off and questioned it.  I had a few people actually have the nerve to ask if I was pregnant. We loved each other (still do!) and knew.  We discussed that the other was saved and knew that each other had grown up in church and that Jesus/church would be something in our lives/marriage.

All that to say, we both left a few parts out with each other.  I didn't tell him that I was completely insane and I would never be ok with shoes sitting inside the house anywhere except the closet, he didn't tell me that he whistled allll the time, and we didn't tell each other about our false alarm savings.

I'm not saying any of this because I think it hindered any part of our 9+ year marriage, because I'm certain it hasn't. 
I guess I'm saying this because what happened later was really cool.  We both spilled our guts about what we think happened with our false alarms....and then what happened in the real moments we were saved.  We sat in bed, eating the cookies that he had purchased at the store when he only ran in to get the toilet paper that I never remember, and we talked about moments in our childhood that crafted us differently from that point forward.

I suppose another reason for sharing this- is that surely we aren't the only people this has happened to- and if it has happened to you- it's ok.  I'm not a person who is very good in the least at sharing the Bible.  I can remember the strangest of facts and emails from three years ago at work, but when it comes to scriptures and answering hard questions- I'm not your gal.  I should be, considering the fact that I was raised in two fabulous churches with great teachers/leaders/pastors, but it's something I need to work on so much.

I'm not sure why I feel like I needed to type this- but I did....and now I'll have you look at the Martinez and I...














I would have gone back for older photos...but I take so many pictures that it takes forever to load.



Until Next Time.....

















1 comment: